Supposed you have decided to purchase a personal VPN subscription for yourself; the biggest question that you face is finding out which of the many VPN providers is the best option for you. Often, many people rely on VPN reviews to get this information. Therefore, it is only worthwhile that we ask the question: what should you look for when reading VPN reviews?
Remember, it is one thing to tell yourself that you need a VPN connection. Making the right choice so you get your money’s worth is an altogether different challenge. If you are serious with being secure while surfing the web, you know you do not have any choice but to sign up to a VPN service. While you are at it, it would be more practical to simply go for the best, right?
What to Consider When Selecting VPN
Thankfully, you do not need to be well-versed in technical terms in order to determine which is the best VPN service out there. Simply follow these basic guidelines when selecting the best VPN service for your requirement:
- Start by taking mental notes of the reasons why you have decided to get a VPN connection in the first place. This can be because you want to be safe and secure when browsing the web or because you want greater accessibility to certain websites that are otherwise geographically restricted. By understanding your need, you can begin to formulate your own set of criteria towards selecting the best VPN service for you.
- If your primary reason for buying a VPN is for connectivity purposes, you will find most value in a VPN service that offers the most extensive server location listings. This is what you should look for in VPN reviews. Notice that when you read about VPN providers, you will find information on a certain number of servers located in a certain number of countries. Watch our for phrases like “220 servers in 70 countries.” The more servers are available in more locations, the greater the accessibility that is being offered by that VPN provider.
- If you are interested in improving your security and you are not familiar with technical terms, that is okay. It is best that to remember that different VPN protocols like OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec, and SSTP offer roughly the same level of protection. As a user, it is more important to actually look for VPN brands that talk about the compatibility of the service to the device that you plan to use to connect to the internet. For example, if you are planning to do a good chunk of your internet surfing on an iPad 2, make sure that your VPN provider offers VPN services for the iPad. Do the same for gaming consoles, wireless routers, and other devices that you may use to surf the web.
- Bandwidth is a very important consideration for selecting the best VPN service. Some VPN brands appear to be cheaper but their bandwidth offer can be severely limited. For best results, choose the VPN brand that offers unlimited bandwidth. You can also find information like these directly from the websites of the VPN providers.
- Last but certainly not least, price is very important. We don’t have the world to spend on the best VPN service so it is prudent to be price conscious. You do not have to select the cheapest but a plan that is the most cost effective is certainly useful. Consider all of the above items and then cross-reference it with pricing offers to determine which one gives you the most value. For example, if two providers both offer unlimited bandwidth but one is $5 cheaper per month than the other, then you know which one is more cost effective.
Selecting the best VPN service need not be a tedious task. Simply follow the considerations outlined above and you should be confident that you will end up with the best VPN provider out of the many out there.