Samsung SmartPhone’s Battery Explodes In Man’s Pocket

Samsung SmartPhone’s Battery Explodes In Man’s Pocket

Most of the cell phones make use of lithium-ion batteries. These batteries may heat up over extensive usage and have been known to have caused significant physical injuries to users at times. In a recent incident in South Korea, the battery of a Samsung handset exploded in a user’s pocket.

The incident didn’t leave the man unharmed, incurring him second-degree burns as well as a one-inch wound on the thigh. The interesting thing is that according to the officials, the battery was not in the handset when it exploded. Moreover, it couldn’t be confirmed which Samsung handset the battery belonged to. Chosun Ilbo newspaper reported the battery from the 2011 Galaxy Note exploded but fire officials couldn’t confirm that.

Over the years, a number of similar incidents have been reported. Lithium-ion batteries often register overheating issues due to which a number of vendors have recalled their units and had them replaced. The rather frightening part is that these batteries tend to overheat, and at times catch fire, rather randomly. So far, no definite cause could be determined as to what exactly may lead a lithium-ion battery to overheating and potentially exploding.

Nonetheless, as a caution, it is always good not to push your smartphone into doing a lot of heavy work and keeping it away from direct sunlight and regular hot objects.

Source: CNET

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*